Peter Loso was one of the first settlers to reach to the St. Joseph area and founded the German negotiation in August, 1854. He stated section 9-10 on which the Village of Saint Joseph was platted. Many others soon used and the Township was structured in 1858 covering 81 square miles. Formerly called Clinton, St. Joseph acquired its current name in 1870. Many settlers came up for the land, using its fertile soils, and the opportunities America provided.
The settlers built many businesses and homes and eventually the Community was contained in 1890. As the township grew, so have the needs of its residents, and the concerns of the lawmakers. As a part of their plan in the 1890's, they decided to construct a prison, install a people well, build and repair solid wood sidewalks, and arranged liquor licenses at $500 each. Fires were also an issue and around 1885 the Hook and Ladder Co. No. 1 was planned, which is currently the St. Joseph Open fire Dept.
By the first 1900's St. Joseph was thriving with around 600 residents. Farming was starting to support the people after multiple years of hardship due to the severe winters and the grasshopper plague of 1856. The milking machine became available in 1905 lowering the time to milk cows so additional time could be spent on crops and canine care. Soon after, World Battle 1 required many farmers to leave their homes to fight.
After the battle ended individuals were in a position to get their lives back on the right track, at least for some time, before the stock market crash in 1929. Also, at this time, prohibition was in place so lots of the farmers turned to making moonshine, which relatively reduced the hardships of the marketplace crash. With all the depression effecting everyone in town, the city needed to stick together more than ever. Through a federal government offer, the Council could hire the jobless to help clean and maintain the Village.
On December 7, 1941 the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbor which officially moved into the united states into World Warfare 2. Rationing tokens received out because so many items were in short supply. At that time St. Joseph experienced a inhabitants of around 1050, sacrificing 10 check here heroic military to the war. The community remained strong and continuing to enhance the Town, adding a drinking water tower in 1949, plus a new Town well. In 1959, St. Joseph started out fluoridating its drinking water supply, and remains to take action.